Re: enable dependency tracking whenever available

From: Jason Kraftcheck
Subject: Re: enable dependency tracking whenever available
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:58:13 -0600

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hello Jason,
>
> * Jason Kraftcheck wrote on Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 07:39:30PM CET:
>> Is there a way to enable dependency tracking by default even if only slow
>> mechanisms are available (as if --enable-dependency-tracking were always
>> specified?).
>
> You mean as the package developer?  Put
>   : ${enable_dependency_tracking=yes}
>
> before the first compiler test in configure.ac.  The
>   ./configure --help
>
> output won't match the semantics then, though.
>
> Hope that helps.

Why not just
  enable_dependency_tracking=yes

I don't want to enable this if the --disable-dependency-tracking has been
explicitly specified, I just want to change the default (depending on a
different flag.)  The following seems to do what I want
  if test "x$enable_dependency_tracking" = "x"; then
    enable_dependency_tracking=yes
  fi

Is it problematic or non-portable for some reason?

Thanks for all your help.

- jason