problem with a test that is expected to fail, on cygwin only...

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: problem with a test that is expected to fail, on cygwin only...
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:17:00 -0700

Howdy all!

I am having a problem on cygwin only.

I have a test which is expected to fail. In the Makefile.am I have
this:

TESTFILES = nctst tst_failure
check_PROGRAMS = $(TESTFILES)
nctst_SOURCES = nctst.cpp
tst_failure_SOURCES = tst_failure.cpp
TESTS = $(TESTFILES) run_nc_tests.sh
XFAIL_TESTS = tst_failure

And when I run this on a linux system, it works as
expected. tst_failure fails, and make continues because it expected
that test to fail.

*** nctst SUCCESS!
PASS: nctst
NetCDF: String match to name in use
XFAIL: tst_failure

*** Testing C++ API test program output.
*** dumping classic format file to nctst_classic.cdl and comparing...
*** dumping 64-bit offset format file to nctst_64bit_offset.cdl and
*** comparing...
*** All tests of C++ API test output passed!
PASS: run_nc_tests.sh
All 3 tests behaved as expected (1 expected failures)

But on cygwin, when the test fails, make stops right there:

PASS: nctst.exe
NetCDF: String match to name in use
FAIL: tst_failure.exe

*** Testing C++ API test program output.
*** dumping classic format file to nctst_classic.cdl and comparing...
*** dumping 64-bit offset format file to nctst_64bit_offset.cdl and
*** comparing...
*** All tests of C++ API test output passed!
PASS: run_nc_tests.sh
1 of 3 tests failed
Please report to address@hidden
make[2]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1

The make version on cygwin is:

sh-3.1$ make --version
GNU Make 3.80

Which seems reasonably recent. What's up with this? Is this kind of
thing only handled by newer makes?

Thanks!

Ed

--