Re: [Fwd: [btOOL] Unable to compile on MacOs X]

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [btOOL] Unable to compile on MacOs X]
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:17:30 +0200

Hi Guillaume,

* Guillaume Rousse wrote on Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:46:11AM CEST:
> I tried to have a look at how sed substitutions are handled by
> config.status, so as to help this guy, but I get lost in multiple format
> transformations...

FWIW, this is an Autoconf question.  It would've helped to state which
autotools versions were used in creating btparse version .34, better
even, where to look at the exact tarball that the user has issues with.

> In particular, the final 't t' at the end of each substitution pattern
> is mysterious for me.

Reading the `sed' part of
  info Autoconf "Limitations of Usual Tools"

helps a bit.

| Here is the complete output from ./configure:

| thrasymachus:~/Applications/Lyx, LaTeX, BibTeX stuff/btparse-0.34
| stefano$ ./configure checking for a BSD-compatible install...
| /sw/bin/install -c
| checking whether build environment is sane... yes
| /Users/stefano/Applications/Lyx,: /Users/stefano/Applications/Lyx,: No
| such file or directory

Just tell the user to build in a directory with a path name that does
not contain comma nor space.  Spaces will cause lots of subtle failures.

> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: creating Makefile
> sed: -e expression #1, char 313: unknown option to `s'

Since some substitution value contains a comma, and Autoconf-2.59 uses
comma as the delimiter for some `s' substitutions and would not
re-escape all to-be-substituted values, this could fail.  This has been
fixed in Autoconf-2.59c, as far as I know.

Cheers,
Ralf