Re: install.sh and config.{guess,sub} use with autoconf only

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: install.sh and config.{guess,sub} use with autoconf only
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:14:47 +0100

Hi Guillaume,

* Guillaume Rousse wrote on Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 05:12:15PM CET:
> autoconf does provide two macros that requires external files:
> - AC_PROG_INSTALL requires install.sh
> - AC_CANONICAL_HOST requires config.{guess,sub}
>
> However, whereas the first one is provided by autoconf itself, the
> second ones are provided by automake only (at least on my distribution).
>  Should they not be distributed with autoconf rather ?
>
> Second, whereas installation of those file is automatic through
> invocation of automake -a, it seems there is no such automated way to do
> it with autoconf only. Am I right ?

I believe you are right.  If you use Autoconf but not Automake (and not
Libtool either), then you unfortunately have to install that file
yourself.  Doing it once should suffice though.

Hope that's not too much of an inconvenience.  :-)
(If not, you can still consider using Automake.. given that you actually
wrote this to its mailing list, I don't think you can expect this answer
to not be given ;-)

Cheers,
Ralf