using FC *and* F77, or FC *instead of* F77?

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: using FC *and* F77, or FC *instead of* F77?
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 16:09:05 -0700

Howdy all!

I compile fortran code on a bunch of platforms. Most f90 compilers
seem to support compiling F77 code, so I thought, in configure.ac, I
could just use:

AC_PROG_FC

But when I do an autoreconf, I get the following automake error:

nf_test/Makefile.am: Preprocessed Fortran 77 source seen but `F77' is undefined
nf_test/Makefile.am:
nf_test/Makefile.am: The usual way to define `F77' is to add `AC_PROG_F77'
nf_test/Makefile.am: to `configure.ac' and run `autoconf' again.
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

I suspect that's because the files in nf_test are *.F files, instead
of *.F90 files.

Is there any way to just tell autoconf to use the FC compiler for
everything?

Otherwise I have to also call AC_PROG_F77, and then there are issues
because they might find different compilers.

I also have a firm requirement that commercial compilers are to be
prefered to GNU. Of course, everything would be much easier if gcc was
used everywhere, because then I wouldn't have to mess with compilers
from Sun, AIX, Irix, Intel, etc. But that's the way the cookie
crumbles.

In fact, what I end up doing is this:

AC_PROG_F77([mpxlf_r xlf f95 fort xlf95 ifort ifc efc pgf95 lf95
gfortran frt pgf77 f77 fort77 fl32 af77 f90 xlf90 pgf90 epcf90 g77])

AC_PROG_FC([mpxlf_r xlf90 f95 fort xlf95 ifort ifc efc pgf95 lf95
gfortran frt pgf77 f77 fort77 fl32 af77 f90 xlf90 pgf90 epcf90 g77])

If I were Harry Potter, I would wave a magic wand, and make AC_PROG_FC
do everything, including telling me somehow whether it can handle F90
code.

Is there a better way? Or is it required that I have AC_PROG_F77 and
AC_PROG_FC?

Thanks!

Ed
--