Re: Distributing directory with software

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: Distributing directory with software
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:24:57 +0100

Paulo Jorge Matos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wish to distribute a directory with a lot of subdirectories with my
> project. I have:
> project
>     - bench
>     - src
>
> the src is being distributed already since it contains sources  but
> the bench directory contains a bunch of text files which should be
> distributed. bench has a lot of subdirs with text files which should
> not need to be enumerated in automake. How can I say, distribute all
> the directory including subdirs.

Most likely you can't - and that's to be expected.  For example, it
would require automake to know about all kinds of files that should be
excluded (for example, CVS or .svn subdirectories, .cvsignore files,
and so on).  In addition, you might end up distributing
my_boss_has_a_brain_the_size_of_a_peanut.txt by mistake if it got
dropped somewhere in that tree.
By enumerating the files in a Makefile.am you avoid distributing
things you didn't want to distrbute.

Or, as an alternative, distribute bench/bench.tar instead.