Re: ax_prog_csc / Re: C# support for automake

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: ax_prog_csc / Re: C# support for automake
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:39:44 +0100

Bruno Haible wrote:
> Guido Draheim wrote:
>> create a .NET wrappers for the linux dvb kernel api. It does
>> work - getting libtool to compile a native shared library
>> being called from a managed dll that imports symbols from it.
>
> Which are the command lines that you use for doing this? I'd like to
> understand which tools are used for which step, before thinking about
> Makefile variables and automake.

There is absolutely no need to use autotools to create a unixish
csharp wrapper pair of *.so/*.dll libraries. It just makes it so
easy - with a few lines of autoconf/automake code we get a slew of
portabilitiy tests to create the native library part via a
configure-generated libtool.sh shell script. Just as well my
autoconf macro creates a configure-generated shell script named
csharpcomp.sh but that is just converting options for different
csharp compilers that may be used (Microsoft, portableNET, Mono).

If you do have your own build system then it is about easy to
pick up the command line conversion in those shell scripts. The
gcc usually just requires -shared and -l imports
   gcc -shared *.c -lzip -o libproject.so
and the mono compiler wants -target:Library with -reference:s
   gmcs -target:Library -reference:Mono.Posix *.cs -out:Project.dll
That's pretty much about it. If you do compile an example project
then you will see the shell scripts (libtool / csharpcomp) logging
the converted command lines to the terminal. Just check it out.

have fun,
(attaching my current csharpcomp.sh)
-- guido                            http://google.de/search?q=guidod
GCS/E/S/P C++/++++$ ULHS L++w- N++@ s+:a d->++ r+@>+++ y++ (geekcode)