AM_CFLAGS not included in translation unit compilation

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: AM_CFLAGS not included in translation unit compilation
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 15:59:33 -0800

Hello automake mailing list,

In a recent project I noticed that the individual compilation units do
not include AM_CFLAGS in the invocation of the compiler, however
when the program is constructed in the linking phase the AM_CFLAGS
variable is used. Is there a rational for this ? I would like
to place debugging (-g) in AM_CFLAGS and instead I am placing it in prog_CFLAGS.