Re: AM_FCFLAGS not working as I expect...

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: Re: AM_FCFLAGS not working as I expect...
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 17:48:47 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Ed,
>
> * Ed Hartnett wrote on Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 02:18:40AM CET:
>>
>> What am I missing here? I define the following in my Makefile.am:
>>
>> # Point the fortran compiler to current directory.
>> AM_FFLAGS = -I$(srcdir)
>>
>> But no matter what I do, that -I. never appears when the compile
>> happens:
>>
>>  f95 -g -O2 -ff2c -c typeSizes.f90  -fPIC -o .libs/typeSizes.o
>>
>> Yet I have successfully set the -ff2c flag in configure.ac, but only
>> by modifying FCFLAGS directly.
>>
>> Is AM_FCFLAGS not supposed to be used on the compile line along with
>> FCFLAGS? I understood that to be the case from this in the automake
>> manual:
>
> These go together:
> F77, FFLAGS,  AM_FFLAGS,  Fortran 77
> And these:
> FC,  FCFLAGS, AM_FCFLAGS, Fortran 90/95, FCFLAGS_f90..
>
> Any chance you are mixing the two sets together?
>
> The FCFLAGS_$srcext is set by AC_FC_SRCEXT, explained in
>   info Autoconf 'Fortran Compiler'
> but not yet supported by Automake.  I.e., until Automake is fixed to
> output these rules:
>
> .f90.o:
>       $(FCCOMPILE) -c -o $@ $(FCFLAGS_f90) $<
>
> .f90.obj:
>       $(FCCOMPILE) -c -o $@ $(FCFLAGS_f90) `$(CYGPATH_W) '$<'`
>
> .f90.lo:
>       $(LTFCCOMPILE) -c -o $@ $(FCFLAGS_f90) $<
>
> I'd advise you to add them to your Makefile.am yourself.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

Thanks, I did that, and straightened out my use of these flags
somewhat, and now things seem to be working better.

My problem is getting everything working on an AIX. The fortran build
breaks there with a libtool problem.

I am getting make distcheck working in the hopes that by doing so, I
might in some way fix my libtool problems on AIX.

There were many subtle things wrong with my automake files that I have
corrected over the last two weeks, so this is not an entirely
unreasonable hope.

And now I can use make distcheck and it works, which is very
helpful. I will try on the AIX tomorrow and see how it fares.

Thanks!

Ed
--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden