Re: changing file names in Makefile.am

From: 'Ralf Wildenhues'
Subject: Re: changing file names in Makefile.am
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:37:58 +0200

Hi Sam,

* Adams Samuel D Contr AFRL/HEDR wrote on Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 03:41:03PM CEST:
> Thanks for the help.  I ran "make maintainer-clean" and that seemed to clear
> up the problem.  I am still getting compilation errors, but I think they are
> due to bad code and not the auto tools. ;)  So, what was I not understanding
> about the auto tools that was causing me this problem?

I'd call it "a limitation of the dependency tracking mechanism", it's a
variant of the deleted header problem mentioned in the chapter
  info Automake "Dependency Tracking Evolution"
but now for non-header source files.

Maybe Automake should document it more prominently, or add the same kind
of machinery for source files?  (There may be reasons why this is not
possible, or a bad thing to do, but I'm not aware of any right now.)

Luckily it's less common to rename source files which are not header
files.

> This is the information that you previously requested, but I guess it
> doesn't matter.

Nope.  :)

Cheers,
Ralf