Re: creating C++ libs contitionally

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: creating C++ libs contitionally
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:30:05 +0100

Hi Matthias,

Please Cc: the automake list on replies, so others can help as well.

* Mattias Barthel wrote on Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 10:56:50AM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >* Mattias Barthel wrote on Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 06:50:10PM CET:
> >
> >>I am passing my Makefile.am's from 1.4 to 1.6.
> >
> >You should try to use a *recent* Automake.  Like 1.9.x.
>
> I can not, really.
> We are building a COE Linux (Redhat9) that comes with AM 1.6.

Ouch.

> >>Doing this I have encountered numerous incompatibility problems.

> >>First when starting with 1.4, a part of the problem I bumped in to was
> >>that libtool did not really understand .dll as an extension of a lib,
> >>me having to make the Makefiles compatible with Windows.
> >
> >Libtool libraries are supposed to end in `.la'.  The created .la files
> >will be text files containing the real name of the library file(s).
> >Which then may end in .dll, for example.
> So, where should I put the dll creation?

Libtool will create libfoo.dll if you specify libfoo.la as libtool
library.

> >BTW, which Libtool version do you use (try to use a recent one as well).
> $ libtool --version
> ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.3.5 (1.385.2.206 2000/05/27 11:12:27)

Ouch again.

> >>The libs for Windows could also not be dependent of cygwin even tough
> >>the compiling environment was cygwin.
> >
> >I don't understand this sentence.
>
> Maybe quite unclear put, sorry.
> Try no.2:
> I am using -mno-cygwin as compiler flag so the libraries can be used
> outside cygwin. Ie. a windows command prompt.

OK.  I am not very firm with windows issue questions, maybe someone else
can help here.

> >>Also, beeing C++ code libraries I could not use the
> >>AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL macro in configure.in because
> >>it seems to be dependent of that the lib is
> >>writtien in C.
> >
> >I don't understand this sentence.
>
> First I was trying to use the autoconf MACRO
> AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL to create DLL's in windows
> but it seems that it only works with C-libs.
> It complains about the C++ mangling at the end
> at linkeage time.

Sorry, if you can recreate the problem you encountered here with a
recent Libtool, I might take a look at it.  Please provide a recipe
to expose the bug.

Regards,
Ralf