Re: adding subdirectories

From: Baurjan Ismagulov
Subject: Re: adding subdirectories
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:41:28 +0100

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 02:27:25PM +0100, Nicolas Joly wrote:
> > 2. More importantly, I can't build the project any more: make
> >    immediately dives into testsuite/, files under which require
> >    libzzz.la, which is going to be built later. If I "make libzzz.la
> >    all", everything works fine.
>
> Use `SUBDIRS = . testsuite' in your Makefile.am, this will force the
> directory processing order.

An interesting trick, thanks for the suggestion! I quickly tested it
yesterday, and it worked. However, today I've tried make -j3, and it
failed, since make builds libzzz.la and the test1 in parallel, and
building the library takes longer than building the test program.

So, what I actually want is that automake generates dependencies for
libraries in LDADD. I've tried adding "test1_DEPENDENCIES =
$(top_builddir)/libzzz.la" to Makefile.am, but this didn't work (make
said "*** No rule to make target `../../libzzz.la', needed by `test1'.
Stop."), which is normal, since that makefile doesn't know anything
about the library. So, this has to be solved from the top-level
makefile.

How can I specify e.g. that all targets in testsuite depend on
libzzz.la?

With kind regards,
Baurzhan.