Re: Configuring automake says autoconf 2.58 or higher needed. Have au to

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Configuring automake says autoconf 2.58 or higher needed. Have au toconf 2.59 installed. What is/goes wrong?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:07:53 -0700

Thomas Dickey wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > I normally respond CC:-ing the reporter on auto*.gnu.org lists, because
> > they tend to be unreliable. Not have done so in this case was just an
> > oversight.
>
> otoh, when I do that, I usually get 2-3 complaints from people stating
> that I shouldn't (ymmv).

On lists that you must be subscribed to post and are discussion lists
then I think people do not expect a CC and often complain when they
are CC'd.

But on the bug- lists there is no assumption that you are subscribed.
It is an open mailing list and anyone may send a message there.  This
is a long standing policy.  (One that has created some controversy
because of the increase in spam I might add.)

If I know someone is subscribed I usually remove their address from
the To list.  If not then I leave it on.  I always leave the original
posters address on the list if I do not recognize it specifically.  If
someone CC's me I try not to complain even though I would like them
not to.

Bob