Re: What is meant by, "XXX does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL"?

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: What is meant by, "XXX does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL"?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:24:59 +0100

>>> "Ralf" == Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Ralf> A semi-classic example of such a situation is this one:

[...]

 Ralf> AS_IF([test "$enable_cxx" = yes],
 Ralf>       [AC_PROG_CXX])

[...]

 Ralf> => Not even automake and autoconf are to treat this situation properly.

No.  But if someone know how to do this better, ideas would be
welcome.  Producing an error at configure time was an
improvement over what we had in the past (make failing to parse
Makefile.in).

Currently the motto is « don't check conditionally; check
unconditionally and only perform conditional actions ».

I know that unfortunately AC_PROG_CXX does not allow conditional
actions (since it abort if no compiler is found), but calling it
conditionally as above is just what causes AM_CONDITIONAL to be
called conditionally (and thus, fail at configure time).
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz