Re: 'make ctags' and vim

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: 'make ctags' and vim
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:16:07 +0100

Hi Konstantin,

* Konstantin Osipov wrote on Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 07:52:28PM CET:

> I was playing with 'make ctags' goal of automake, but I couldn't make it
> generate a linked tree of tags files, as it happens with emacs-like
> `make tags',
> The only way to kind-of make all `tags' of the project visible to ViM
> was to say
>
> set tags+=../*/tags,../../*/tags,../../*/*/tags
>
> but this is really slow.
>
> How do people work around the lack of 'include' directive of ctags?

I know this does not fit the rest of the picture, but whenever I have
the "exuberant ctags" package available, I just issue

$ ctags -R $srcdir

from $top_builddir and be done with it.  This is not portable to other
ctags programs, however (I think), so it cannot serve as a general
solution, while your workaround should be fine in general.

Regards,
Ralf