Re: svn copy conflicts with autotools ?

From: Eric PAIRE
Subject: Re: svn copy conflicts with autotools ?
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:01:14 +0100

Bob Proulx wrote:

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
Add a run-this-on-checkout script and proper rules to the makefiles to run
the autotools sequence if the autotools files are not yet available.

Shouldn't 'autoreconf' be the right answer to regenerate all of the
autotools files after a clean checkout?  Isn't that the tool designed
to do the right thing to bootstrap the project?

Bob
You're absolutely right, 'autoreconf' does the job. But IMHO, I think that
autotools should not generate anything in the source directory. Keep only a
generic configure in the source that will generate in a object directory all
the autotools files would be more appropriate, and there will be a clean
separation between generated and source files (and avoid any source tree
"pollution").

But I can live with this solution provided that I known all the files
generated by the autotools in each directory to put the coirrect subversion
'ignore' property.

Eric