Re: AM_CFLAGS in the project root?

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: AM_CFLAGS in the project root?
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:18:33 +0200

>>> "Baurjan" == Baurjan Ismagulov <address@hidden> writes:

[...]
 Baurjan> I can do this by defining AM_CFLAGS in each
 Baurjan> subdirectory. This works. However, I want to have it
 Baurjan> in one place. So I've tried to define this variable in
 Baurjan> the root directory instead of subdirectories, but in
 Baurjan> this case the generated Makefiles don't seem to use
 Baurjan> it.

Only the root directory would use it, since variables defined in
Makefile.ams are not inherited between Makefile.ams.

However you probably know that variables AC_SUBSTed in
configure.ac are defined in all Makefiles.  So you could
define AM_CFLAGS in all your Makefiles using
  AC_SUBST([AM_CFLAGS], [value])
in configure.ac.

Note that Makefile.am definitions still have priority over
configure.ac AC_SUBSTs.  Therefore you can use AC_SUBST
to give AM_CFLAGS a global default value, and override this
definition locally in a Makefile.am if needed.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz