Re: Silent compilation

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: Silent compilation
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:52:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Simon Richter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Simply using the ".SILENT: ..." pseudo-target goes a little too
> > far, I would prefer something similar to the behaviour of the
> > Linux kernel Makefiles, e.g., printing only the line
>
> >   Compiling foo.c
>
> > when foo.c is compiled.
>
> > Is there a portable way of doing this?
>
> Modifying the rules that are output to silently compile and echo stuff,
> sure.
>
> But: Who wants that? When I compile something, I'm always happy to see
> the full command line, as it allows me to see missing or wrong flags
> instantly, rather than in some misbehaviour later. Even the Linux kernel
> has an option to view the full command lines, for exactly that reason.

hmm - instantly.

Of course you're accustomed to reading 1000-character lines, which differ
only by the last few.  Kind of a waste of mental energy.  Learn to use
tools (someday ;-)

> People that are scared by a compiler command line should not be
> compiling stuff themselves, especially since these are usually the
> people that compile stuff just because their distribution is not
> P4-optimized.

people who have that sort of attitude probably are not producing much
more than large logfiles.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net