Using and detecting environment variables as flags

From: John Ling
Subject: Using and detecting environment variables as flags
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 10:49:31 -0700

Hello, I want to be able to read/check the value of an environment variable in my Makefile.am. This would be a variable that I set as part of the an [action-if-found] in the AC_SEARCH_LIBS method, that I set in configure.ac.

How do I reference such a variable?

In addition, depending on the value of this variable, I then want to pass a signal from my Makefile.am to yet another Makefile which is called from Makefile.am. This signal is to tell the second Makefile to add an -lz in its LIBS definition.

How do I do this?  In what way can I send such a flag/signal?

Thank You,
John