Re: excessive bounces

From: Jay West
Subject: Re: excessive bounces
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 12:53:36 -0500

You should have sent this to the list owner/admin, not the list.

You didn't include the headers below so I can only guess as to specifics.
But the long and short of it is:

For users.sourceforge.net:
mail exchanger = externalmx-1.sourceforge.net (preference 20)
mail exchanger = mail.sourceforge.net (preference 10)

So you should do traceroutes from your linux system to those two and make
sure you don't have any issues. You still may, ICMP blocking is quite
common.

You should also make sure you can telnet to port 25 on those servers, that
would certainly be allowed as a test.

If you have a domain name registered that you're using on your linux box,
please tell us you're not using dynamic DNS. If so, live with the problems
(and there will be lots of them). You also want to make sure the public IP
address of your linux box resolves out on the net with the exact same info
both forward and reverse, many servers are picky about that nowdays.

Also, try looking at your MTA logs on your linux box, may well be something
germane there.

Lastly, check with the black hole databases and make sure your IP isn't
listed.

More succinctly put, the list server is having trouble reliably reaching
your machine. Most likely this isn't the list servers problem, it's yours
due to either sporadic connectivity on your part, or somewhere between the
list server and you, or sporadic DNS service on your part. If you have any
issues after looking into this, contact me off-list and I'll try to help.

Regards,

Jay West