Re: SUBDIRS: can I make but not install?

From: Gregory Sharp
Subject: Re: SUBDIRS: can I make but not install?
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:51:01 -0700 (PDT)

--- Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden> wrote:
> writes:
>
>  Gregory> My program uses a 3rd party library, that I include
> with the
>  Gregory> distribution as a subdirectory.
>
>  Gregory> I want to build the library, and statically link to
> it, which
>  Gregory> works OK by including the subdirectory as SUBDIRS.
> But the
>  Gregory> problem is that "make install" also wants to install
> the
>  Gregory> library, which I don't need.  Any suggestions for
> working
>  Gregory> around this?  I prefer not to modify the 3rd party
> autoconf/make
>  Gregory> scripts.
>
> I can't see any _clean_ way to do this with the current tools.
> It would be nice that Automake supports noinst_SUBDIRS and
> check_SUBDIRS for directories that must not be always built,
> or
> built only for `make check', but never installed.

Thank you for your feedback, and also Bob's.  This issue
seems to fall on the blurry line between configuration and
package management.

I eventually decided the best way is to modify the 3rd party
scripts, document those modifications, then reproduce them
for each future 3rd party release.  Not ideal, but acceptable.

Greg

=====
Greg Sharp
address@hidden