Re: Problem with configure

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Problem with configure
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:18:17 -0700

Priit Voolaid wrote:
> i don't know is this the right place to ask my question. If not, sorry.

address@hidden would have been better than address@hidden  This
has little to do with automake.

> I want all the necessery files to go in /opt directory, so i execute
> configure with --prefix=/opt.

More typically you would put them under a package directory when
installing into /opt.  Something like this.

  --prefix=/opt/package \
  --mandir=/opt/package/share/man \
  --info=/opt/package/share/info

> All good, configure runs wiht no problems.
> But after compilaiton 'make install' fails to copy everything to its
> right place, under /opt dircetory.
> After inspecting configure generated Makefile, i've found the problem. To
> demonstrate what i mean, heres some lines from example Makefile:
>
> # Install directories
> PREFIX=                 --prefix/opt
> prefix=                 --prefix/opt
> exec_prefix=            ${prefix}
> BINDIR=                 ${exec_prefix}/bin
> INST_DIR=               ${prefix}/grass5
>
> The PREFIX is defined as --prefix/opt instead /opt. Why is that? Where can
> i search for source of this problem?

That is definitely not what is expected.  And because of that I think
that it was invoked differently than you think.  I would try it again
carefully because I believe it should work.  That or the author put
something strange in the configure.ac file.  The autoconf generated
scripts are very well debugged in that area.  In any case you will
need to do some debugging of it.

Bob