Re: automake -vs- huge projects

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: automake -vs- huge projects
Date: 02 Jan 2004 21:17:33 -0700

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul D Smith <address@hidden> writes:

Paul> If you're willing to require GNU make then I'm quite confidant
Paul> you could write automake as nothing more than a suite of GNU
Paul> make macros and functions.

Yeah.  One idea for the post-auto* world is "let's beef up GNU make
and use it as the basis for the next-generation system".  This
approach has the benefits that most build scripts are already written
for make and that GNU make already does a lot of what is needed.

The competing idea (which seems to have more mindshare -- not
necessarily making it more viable) is to write something brand new,
typically in your-favorite-scripting-language, thus avoiding the less
pleasant aspects of make (syntax, primarily, but also the flat
namespace).  From time to time I work on a tool following this
approach, but there are several of these out there.

We did consider just writing our own Makefile.in for libgcj using GNU
make features.  It seemed easier to try to fix the size problem
though.

Tom