Re: making convenience libraries without libtool

From: Daniel Reed
Subject: Re: making convenience libraries without libtool
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:24:18 -0500 (EST)

On 2003-12-11T11:00-0500, Marty Leisner wrote:
) I'm using libtool to make convenience libraries merging
) sublibraries...
)
) I really don't need to use libtool since I don't build shared libraries.

Ensure your configure.{ac,in} contains at least:
AC_PROG_CC
AC_PROG_RANLIB

Add to your Makefile.am:
noinst_LIBRARIES = libtarget.a

You can use libtarget_a_SOURCES to have it build libtarget.a from source
code, or perhaps make interesting use of libtarget_a_LIBADD to include other
libraries.

The key to convenience libraries is the noinst_ prefix, and the key to not
using libtool just to make an archive is to use the _LIBRARIES suffix
instead of _LTLIBRARIES.

--
Daniel Reed <address@hidden>    http://naim-users.org/nmlorg/
http://naim.n.ml.org/