Emulating GNU Make conditionals, or: Is there a nice way to automaticall

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Emulating GNU Make conditionals, or: Is there a nice way to automatically set CFLAGS when make is run?
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:40:11 +0100

Hi all

I have a problem converting an old code base to GNU Automake, in that the developers are used to spicing up their GNU Makefiles with GNU Make conditionals, that are evaluated when make is run, in order to have some shortcut options for setting CFLAGS.

They use make -DCHECK=1 to enable adding of special debuggin flags, for example, and make -DPROF=1 to add another set of flags to enable a build fro profiling.

Is there a (better) way to do that using GNU Automake? I'be been browsing the archives for a while but couldn't find anything.

cheers,
dalibor topic