Re: SUBDIRs and slashes

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: SUBDIRs and slashes
Date: 09 Dec 2003 10:36:50 -0700

>>>>> "adl" == Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden> writes:

>>>> "Marty" == Marty Leisner <address@hidden> writes:
adl> [...]

Marty> common/Makefile.am:1: directory should not contain `/'

Marty> Just wondering for some thoughts on this matter...is
Marty> there any reason to insist on single level source
Marty> directories in recursive make...

adl> I can't think of any.

Back in the day there were two problems.

First, automake's "dist" rule was not robust if there was a gap in
the hierarchy.

Second, autoconf wouldn't properly create intermediate directories in
this same situation.

I don't know whether either of these is still true today.  The first
one in particular has probably changed, I think I'm remembering our
first "dist" implementation :-)

Tom