Re: Newbie Request for Help (make dist problem)

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Newbie Request for Help (make dist problem)
Date: 09 Dec 2003 10:27:54 -0700

>>>>> "Scott" == J Scott Amort <address@hidden> writes:

Scott> - include
Scott> - src
Scott>    - subdir1
Scott>    - subdir2
Scott> - extra
Scott> - build
Scott>    - src

Scott> The configure.ac, Makefile.am, etc. files are located in the
Scott> src subdirectory of the build directory at the bottom (nothing
Scott> platform specific is therefore in the top level directory).

Automake assumes that your top-level directory will have a
Makefile.am...

Scott> However, the problem lies
Scott> when trying to make dist.  It copies all of the include, src and extra
Scott> directories into the build directory and only makes a tar.gz of the
Scott> files that were originally in the build...src directory (i.e. configure,
Scott> configure.ac, etc.).  None of the source files make it into the
Scott> archive.  Why is this happening?

This is fallout from that assumption.

Scott> Additionally, it seems I would also
Scott> need to put the header files into the distribution, so I added:
Scott> EXTRA_DIST = \
Scott>    $(ISRC)/header1.h \
Scott>    $(SSRC)/header2.h

Yeah, you can do this.  It's a bit more idiomatic to list header
files in a _SOURCES somewhere.  They are ignored for purposes of
compilation, but are distributed.

Tom