problems using automake,aclocal

From: alexander_carot
Subject: problems using automake,aclocal
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 13:42:28 +0200 (MEST)

Hi to all,

just joined this list 'cause I have a hard time using automake and aclocal.
Though problems appear in many cases I'm gonna give you the audio application
Ardour as an example : When configuring I get the following errors :

linking autoconf macros to /usr/local/ardour/aclocal ...

Bootstrapping makefiles etc.

Ignore any warnings about AC_TRY_RUN, AC_PROG_LEX, and AC_DEFINE ...

Building autoconf files for libs ...
Building autoconf files for libs/sigc++ ...
WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.

WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
WARNING: `acconfig.h':

WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
WARNING:             [Define if a function `main' is needed.])

WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
WARNING: documentation.
Building autoconf files for libs/pbd ...
Building autoconf files for libs/soundtouch ...
Building autoconf files for libs/midi++ ...
Building autoconf files for libs/libxml2 ...
Building autoconf files for libs/ardour ...
aclocal: configure.ac: 66: macro `AM_DISABLE_STATIC' not found in library
Building autoconf files for libs/gtkmm ...
Building autoconf files for libs/gtkmmext ...
Building autoconf files for libs/libart_lgpl ...
Building autoconf files for libs/gtk-canvas ...
Building autoconf files for gtk_ardour ...
Building autoconf files for ksi_ardour ...
Building autoconf/automake files for the top level ...

Another error appears in an opensource audio streamer : configure gives this
:

Generating Makefiles...
=======================================

**Warning**: I am going to run `configure' with no arguments.
If you wish to pass any to it, please specify them on the
`./autogen.sh' command line.

processing .
Running libtoolize...
You should update your `aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.
Running aclocal  ...
Running autoheader...
WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.

WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
WARNING: `acconfig.h':

WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
WARNING:             [Define if a function `main' is needed.])

WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
WARNING: documentation.
aclocal.m4:1380: error: m4_defn: undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion
autoconf/functions.m4:1277: AM_FUNC_OBSTACK is expanded from...
aclocal.m4:1380: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
autoheader: /usr/bin/autom4te failed with exit status: 1

So, it feels that there's trouble with the m4-files but I have the latest
automake-version installed.
For some reason the automake bin and the aclocal bin appear as

automake-1.7   and    aclocal-1.7         and not as automake and aclocal

Is that correct ? Can anyone help ?  Thanks a lot in advance

-- A l e x