Re: Way to install only shared libraries

From: Assar Westerlund
Subject: Re: Way to install only shared libraries
Date: 29 May 2003 17:14:31 -0400

Stephen Torri <address@hidden> writes:
> I am on a project that would like to only install shared library files
> (.so) but not the .la files. I tried to put AC_DISABLED_STATIC  and then
> AM_DISABLED_STATIC into the configure to do this. Neither declaration
> worked. Is there a method for doing what we want?

There is no good method.  You could do any of these:

a) add:

install-exec-hook:
        @list='$(lib_LTLIBRARIES)'; for p in $$list; do \
          rm $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)/$$p; \
        done

to your Makefile.am

b) override install-libLTLIBRARIES but that's uglier.

c) add an option to libtool to not install the .la file and then have
you Makefile.am use that.