problem with AC_CONFIG_HEADERS and automake

From: Dale E Martin
Subject: problem with AC_CONFIG_HEADERS and automake
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 09:22:10 -0400

I have some #defines I need defined based off of the results of configure
tests.  I was using AM_CONFIG_HEADER to do this, but it doesn't have cpp
guards and I needed these values in installed headers, so I looked for
another solution.  I ended up writing my own header.h.in files with cpp
guards, and used AC_CONFIG_HEADERS to write out the #defines of interest
based on the configure tests.  So far, so good, it all works great with
automake 1.7.

On automake 1.5, however, I have the problem that automake complains that
I should use "AM_CONFIG_HEADER", not "AC_CONFIG_HEADER" (note the lack of
the S).  Is there some workaround for this problem that is compatible with
automake 1.5 and 1.7?

Thanks,
        Dale
--