Best & most portable way to add *paths to headers* & *libraries*???

From: cs
Subject: Best & most portable way to add *paths to headers* & *libraries*???
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:36:43 -0700 (MST)

If I want to add some /paths to include files/,
I should just add my -I's to Makefile.am with
this line right??...

INCLUDES=-I/path1 -I/path2 -I/path3

If I want to link with some /libraries/,
I should just add my -l's to Makefile.am with
this line right?

myprogram_LDADD=-lsomelib1 -lsomeotherlib2 -lsomelibagain3

My main question is this.... For portability, one would
eventually want to check for *existence* of these
files and their *location*.  This implies I would
have to replace my hardwired stuff above with
*variables* I suppose....

If I do such checks in Autoconf in the future, will
it make necessary changes to Makefile by itself???
i.e. will I still need a line in Makefile.am with
some variable still???

Chris