Re: Possible to use Automake without Autoconf/config script?

From: cs
Subject: Re: Possible to use Automake without Autoconf/config script?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:33:30 -0700 (MST)

Bob

Thanks for your reply. Why is a Makefile.in even
necessary though??? All the portability magic
of Autoconf is done thru a config.h (*just* a list of
#define's right?) that gets included in source code!!!

What is the Makefile.in->Makefile step gaining
us???  Why not Makefile.am->Makefile without
the middle step??... We'll still get the benefits
of Autoconfi via the config.h!!!!

Chris

P.S. Your other email gave me a hint of a reason
why Autoconf is useful----> to get CC and CFLAGS
defined.  I'm still curious though if one could
avoid Autoconf all together since this is a trivial
reason to use it.

   address@hidden wrote:
   > If one was only interested in Automake and not
   > portability, could one bypass Makefile.in
   > and just use Automake independently of Autoconfig?

   It is probably easiest and best to use a minimal configure.ac file in
   that case.  Just the basics and nothing more.  Here is an example
   configure.ac which implements this idea.

     AC_INIT(projectname,0.0)
     AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
     AC_PROG_AWK
     AC_PROG_INSTALL
     AC_PROG_LN_S
     AC_PROG_RANLIB
     AC_PROG_CC
     AC_OUTPUT([ Makefile ])

   This is so small that it runs fast and light.  No worries about
   portability for you here.  Just enough to get automake going.

   Bob