Re: Linking in C++ mode

From: Pierre Sarrazin
Subject: Re: Linking in C++ mode
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 17:42:30 -0500

Dixit John Levon <levon at movementarian.org> (2002-11-10 15:31):
> > A proper solution would be to use g++ to link the application. To
> > achieve this with automake, the easiest way is to convert the
> > main-application file to c++. In your case, renaming oprofiled.c to
> > oprofiled.cc would be sufficient.
>
> This seems IMHO to be a terrible hack. I've found automake to be quite
> flexible so far; am I hitting one of its limitations ?

Another way to force automake to use g++ to link the application
seems to be to leave the .c alone, but to add a dummy.cc file to
the application's _SOURCES variable.  The .c file is still compiled
by gcc.

dummy.cc can be something like 'static void dummy();'.  It can be
created automatically like this:

prog_SOURCES = prog.c dummy.cc

dummy.cc:
        echo 'static void dummy();' > $@

I'd be curious to know if there are significant drawbacks to this hack.

One thing is certain, the way to test any solution is to make sure
that global variables in the C++ library are constructed before
main() starts.

--
Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip at sympatico dot ca>