Re: can't get away from automake on remote machine

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: can't get away from automake on remote machine
Date: 30 Apr 2002 11:37:24 -0600

>>>>> "Skip" == Skip Montanaro <address@hidden> writes:

Skip> Maybe I can just check a simple shell script into CVS that
Skip> touches the problematic files in the correct order.

There are 3 commonly-used solutions to this problem:

1. Check in generated files and use AM_MAINTAINER_MODE

2. Don't check in generated files; all users must have correct
   versions of tools.  Use autoreconf and/or custom script to set
   things up

3. Check in generated files and have a script to touch things up
   afterwards.  gcc uses this solution.  (I think this is the worst of
   the bunch.)

Tom