Re: PR224

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: PR224
Date: 20 Jan 2002 14:22:35 -0700

>> ... you end up with `.deps/generic/a.Po'.
>> The PR asks for `generic/.deps/a.Po'.

Rob> Yes. Simply put this breaks with any dependencies not in the
Rob> current sub-tree. And that is problematic. It _also_ leads to
Rob> multiple .Po files for a single source file, scattered around the
Rob> build environment, which 'generic/.deps/a.Po' avoids....

I looked at this some more.  I think the dependency file should go
near the object file, not the source file.  This makes a difference in
the subdir-objects case.  So the idea is that if the object is
"sub/dir/file.o" then the dependency file will be
"sub/dir/.deps/file.Po".  I've written a patch to do this; I'll check
it in once the regression testing is done.  I think this ought to lift
the `..' restriction (except for Java, for now), which is definitely
an improvement.

Tom