Re: Tom Tromey PING!

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: Tom Tromey PING!
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:27:55 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Akim Demaille" <address@hidden>
To: "Robert Collins" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2001 6:25 PM

writes:

> Robert> Tom, I posted a question about getting the size reduction for
> Robert> Makefile's using AM_COND's backported in to a 1.5 stable
> Robert> release... so far there has been 1 reply, which amounted to
> Robert> "that would be good"...
>
> Robert, what would be wrong with the head branch as is now?  Why would
> you want 1.5?  Is it related to the Autoconf requirements?

Well, head is for development AFAIK, so I cannot simply publish on the
squid web pages tht developers need automake-head. And getting folk to
grab a CVS snapshot just to develop squid is a little unreasonable
(think interference with package management on debian/redhat, ports tree
on *BSD etc). But pointing at the most recent release is ok!.

> As far as I'm concerned, I believe there is significant improvement
> since the latest release, and in particular the code works much better
> for 2.50.
>
> So I'd be in favor of 1.6 being what we have.  Just apply the patches
> that have been submitted since.

I'm cool with that too - whatever is easier and more acceptable for the
core automake developers.

Rob