Re: target-specific rules and solaris make?

From: Richard Boulton
Subject: Re: target-specific rules and solaris make?
Date: 09 Sep 2001 19:33:51 +0100

On Sun, 2001-09-02 at 23:10, Assar Westerlund wrote:
> Hi, I found the following issue when trying to use target-specific
> rules with gnu make.  My patch seems to fix the problem for me, but I
> would like somebody to tell me if this is reasonable, and if it can be
> fixed, or if I should rather send this to -bugs or add a bug in gnats
> (gnats haven't been friendly to me the last few times I've tried to
> use it).

This list is fine for reporting problems.  It's been a little quiet
since the automake 1.5 release (I think Tom may be taking a holiday...),
and if reports don't seem to get a reply it's usually worth checking if
anything has changed and reposting if not: there are no full time
developers, though some put in a _lot_ of work...

If you are able, a test case (along the lines of those in
automake/tests/*.test) which demonstrates this problems would be very
helpful.

To clarify: this is on solaris, using solaris make?  Your message
initially implies that you use gnu make, and then refers to solaris
make.

Assuming the problem is as you describe, my feeling is that your patch
is only suitable if no less hacky solution can be found.  This is a
fairly weird thing for make to do: I've not heard of such behaviour
(though my experience is mainly limited to linux).  Is there any way of
turning this behaviour of make off?

--
Richard