Re: XXX_CFLAGS

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: XXX_CFLAGS
Date: 14 Aug 2001 10:19:51 -0600

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard Boulton <address@hidden> writes:

Ralf> * Similarily, I would expect hello_c_o_CFLAGS to be applied to the
Ralf> compilation of a single *.c/o's only.

Richard> We needed to do this for gstreamer.  It's quite easy to make
Richard> a convenience library for just that object though, so I don't
Richard> think this is a high priority feature (would be nice to have
Richard> eventually though).

Richard> (ie,
Richard> noinst_LTLIBRARIES=libhello.la
Richard> libhello_la_SOURCES=hello.c
Richard> libhello_la_CFLAGS=...
Richard> etc...
Richard> )

>> For instance, I think it would be logical to have a way to say
>> "programs A and B share these files (they are compiled the same way),
>> while these files must be compiled differently (and maybe renamed)".
>> I didn't think of that when I implemented this feature.

Richard> Again, this can be done with convenience libraries.

Yeah, I thought about mentioning this, but it isn't really the same.
Convenience libraries are compiled PIC, which you might not want.  You
could use a static library, but that changes linking semantics.

Richard> There's plenty of room for improvement here though, post 1.5.

Definitely.

Tom