Re: automake 1.4e, 1.4g: Depcomp does not get installed

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Subject: Re: automake 1.4e, 1.4g: Depcomp does not get installed
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:31:23 +0200 (MET DST)

On 23 May 2001, Tom Tromey wrote:

> I think this patch fixed the problem:
>
> 2001-05-17  Tom Tromey  <address@hidden>
>
>       * m4/depend.m4 (AM_DEPENDENCIES): If depcomp doesn't exist, revert
>       to no dependency tracking.
>
> I'm guessing you forgot to run aclocal.

 Nope, I have aclocal coded first in RPM spec files, but I take snapshots
at night, so this wasn't included in my copy on May, 17th.

 This fixes the configure-time error, indeed, but is it correct?  I
believe dependencies should only be controlled by the "no-dependencies"
setting in AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS and thus my fix is correct and your one is
doubtful.  Note a related problem is without my change there is no way to
automatically update depcomp, as it's possible for all other files.

  Maciej

+        e-mail: address@hidden, PGP key available        +