Re: Help: Automake's Struct.pm

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Help: Automake's Struct.pm
Date: 24 Apr 2001 18:46:18 +0200

>>>>> "David" == David Lee <address@hidden> writes:

David> I'll immediately confess to not having followed the details of
David> the voluminous email exchange over the last couple of weeks.

Bad guy :)

David> But in the early stages of this discussion (before we got
David> swamped with licensing details) hadn't we tried to pursue the
David> idea of asking the author of Class::Struct about whether the
David> module itself could be upgraded to be more backwards compatible
David> with earlier versions of Perl5 ?

[...]

David> Could you briefly summarise, please, what happened to that
David> potentially very clean approach?  Thanks.

I did answer to this.  By no means I will ever ask someone to
downgrade her work.  What you call ``upgrading'' is actually
``regressing'', asking her to use old syntax, and forget about the
added value of the warning module.

Class::Struct belongs to Perl core, it would be unacceptable that Perl
5.6's modules could use Perl's 5.6 language and modules.

*We* are the ones who want to get out of the tracks, so we have to
handle this by ourselves.