Re: 82-lang-finish.patch

From: akim
Subject: Re: 82-lang-finish.patch
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:21:12 +0200

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 03:10:07PM -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:

> How hard is it going to be to move from the current object
> implementation to the one we really want?

You want me to read in dead animals bodies :)

I currently have no idea...  I'm sure macros and rules should be objects,
afterwards, I don't know.  Currently, by far, the handling of macros
is superior to that of rules, but there is still one big bad thing:
macros are split accross various hashes, instead of a single hash of
macro objects.  This should be very easy to reify.

I wanted to find some common interface for macros and rules, given
that they both share the conditional main root, but I'm not sure it
is the right way.

Now, for the core Automake, I just don't know.

Another fundamental guideline I try to follow is that the knowledge
should be in *.am files only, not automake.  Some projections in the
future (the 1?? patches being some signs of this future) I imagine
seem to show there is some contradiction between the two approaches.

In short, reifying automake, I don't know.  Reifying languages, macros
and rules, yes! definitely!