Re: problem: uninstall-am in makefile with no install targets and non-GN

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: problem: uninstall-am in makefile with no install targets and non-GNU make.
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:41:50 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Akim Demaille" <address@hidden>
To: "Robert Collins" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 9:34 PM
Subject: Re: problem: uninstall-am in makefile with no install targets
and non-GNU make.

writes:

> Robert> Thanks Akim, adding that line should fix the make uninstall
> Robert> problem.  However the makefile.in's created by automake are
> Robert> now corrupt: I get 1001 errors (I CVS updated first).
>
> Robert> The errors I get are (single samples of each) 1) AMDEP does
> Robert> not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
>
> Run aclocal first.

Thanks. Done and it works. (I should have tried ... doh!)

> Robert> 2) snmplib/Makefile.am:14: DEFS multiply defined in condition
> Robert> TRUE DEFS (User, where = 14) = {
>
> Robert>     TRUE => -DSQUID_SNMP=1 }
>
> Hm...  I'll look into this one.  The idea is that somehow we must be
> able to tell Automake `look, this is an Automake variable, but the
> user is allowed to override it'.  Currently it's probably too strict.

Any extra details needed - let me know.

> Synthesizing the permissions is quite difficult :(
>
> Robert> 3) src/Makefile.am: cf_gen_DEPENDENCIES must be set with `='
> Robert> before using `+='
>
> We recently talked about this with Tom, and we agreed that there is no
> reason not to do that (but to protect the user from herself, but it's
> not our job).  So consider this is solved.  I don't have time now, but
> I'll submit a patch soon.

The same applies to CFLAGS. In fact for CFLAGS it's probably more
important - you want to add to the configured CFLAGS variable, not
replace it. No rush for me though :].

> For the time being, I suspect you should just not use the HEAD
Automake.

Unfortuneatly, being a cygwin user, I don't have too much choice. As
soon as I have a working automake, I'll be noteing the date, and
referring project members to that revision. (CVS is a wonderful thing).
I'll possibly take a snapshot and put that on the developers webpage
until the next stable automake release is made with these changes.

And in the meantime, you get lots of bleeding edge bug reports :]

Rob