Re: Patch: make dist in subdirs before handling the current directory

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Patch: make dist in subdirs before handling the current directory
Date: 11 Apr 2001 00:01:12 -0600

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Collins <address@hidden> writes:

Robert>     * distdir.am: Recurse into subdirs before handling files
Robert> in the current directory.

Robert> This patch reverses the order of subdir processing with
Robert> current directory files for the make dist target.

I don't think this is the right thing to do.  Reversing the order
solves the problem in one particular case, but it might introduce new
problems we don't know about.  That becomes more true if/when we have
the dist target depend on `all'.

Instead I think the right thing to do is for automake to notice when
it is dealing with a dist-able object in a subdir and then at dist
time make the subdir and fill it with those files.  This will let
things work even when the subdir doesn't have a Makefile of its own.
We already have most of the code in place to do this; it shouldn't be
very hard to finish.

Tom