Re: Including foreign makefiles

From: Adam C Powell IV
Subject: Re: Including foreign makefiles
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 16:33:03 -0400

Adam C Powell IV wrote:

> I think the following options are available to me:
>
>    * hard-code the variable I had hoped to get from the foreign makefile,
> which will break
>      if it differs from platform to platform or machine to machine.
>    * give up on cross-platform and hand-create .la files for the Debian
> packages of the
>      foreign libs (I maintain that package), which will only allow linking
> against the
>      Debian-packaged version of the toolkit.

I think I'm going to go with option 1.  The PETSc libs will be linked just
fine, but other
system libs from MPI to BLAS are a total crap-shoot without the ability to
import the variable
from an included makefile.  So much for cross-platform.

Leaving the list now, so please CC any replies to me.  Thanks for all the help.

-Adam P.