Feature request.

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Feature request.
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 20:14:34 +1000

I haven't dug into automakes internals.. or I'd consider hacking this up
myself. It seems to me that a useful feature would be a DEFINES primary
that allows extra DEFINES on a per program basis.

i.e (drawing on a similar example in the documentation)
instead of
bin_PROGRAMS = etags ctags
ctags_SOURCES =
ctags_LDADD = ctags.o

etags.o: etags.c
        $(COMPILE) -DETAGS_REGEXPS -c etags.c

ctags.o: etags.c
        $(COMPILE) -DCTAGS -o ctags.o -c etags.c

we could do
bin_PROGRAMS = etags ctags
ctags_SOURCES = etags.c
ctags_DEFINES = -DCTAGS
etags_DEFINES = -DETAGS_REGEXPS

The benefit would be that automatic De-ANSIfications and compiler
workaround would still be handled by automake.Any thoughts?

A less useful (for me :]) variant might be a target_source_DEFINES
combination to add defines on a per source & target combination... but I
that is probably less common an occurance.

Rob