Re: PATCH 2/2: Unconditional use of install-sh for install-strip (Re: cr

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: PATCH 2/2: Unconditional use of install-sh for install-strip (Re: cross-install-strip summary)
Date: 08 Mar 2001 10:30:38 +0100

>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Akim> I don't understand why Automake would not always use
 Akim> AC_CHECK_TOOL(STRIP, strip) in AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE, just
 Akim> like for any other tool it requires.

This is what the original patch did, however Automake would then
require config.sub and config.guess for *any* package.

The start of this discussion is here
  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2001-02/msg00317.html
then in
  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2001-02/msg00583.html
Tom says he doesn't want to change Automake so that
AC_CHECK_TOOL won't require config.sub & config.guess, and in
  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2001-02/msg00652.html
he says that's not the business of Automake to supply a macro
that does AC_CHECK_TOOL(STRIP, strip).

So actually I think that means the user have to
AC_CHECK_TOOL(STRIP, strip) in his configure.ac, until Autoconf
enventually supply an AC_PROG_STRIP macro (then Automake can be
tweaked to require AC_PROG_STRIP when it encounters
AC_CANONICAL_HOST).
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz