Automating builds of multiple packages

From: Arjan J. Molenaar
Subject: Automating builds of multiple packages
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:38:33 +0100

Hello,

I am Arjan Molenaar and I am a software engineer from the Netherlands. I have a
question...

I'm wondering if it is possible to build multiple packages from one point,
where the packages are linked to each other. Hmm.. This looks vague.

Imagine this: I want to build the gnome-libs from source. Therefore I need
GLib, GTK+, Pango and a few other packages already build and installed. It
would be nice (especially for developers) to make sure GLib is up to date, GTK+
is up to date, etc. before building gnome-libs (a "make" in gnome-libs/ would
automatically check those packages).

My question is: Is there support for this in AutoMake/conf/... or a separate
tool, or need something like this to be build?

Thanks in advance,

Arjan

PS. Would you be so kind to CC me, since I'm not subscribed to this list (yet
;-).

--
Computers are like air-conditioners - they
stop working properly if you open Windows.