Re: Testsuite fails

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Testsuite fails
Date: 26 Feb 2001 11:43:51 +0100

>>> "Tom" == Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

 >>>>>> "adl" == Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 adl> Otherwise, as install-strip is concerned, another idea is to:
 adl> 1) not call AM_PROG_INSTALL_STRIP from AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
 adl> 2) revert all `commenting' that has been done in AM_PROG_INSTALL_STRIP
 adl> 3) ask the user to call AM_PROG_INSTALL_STRIP if she uses
 adl> AC_CANONICAL_HOST or AC_CANONICAL_TARGET (automake can
 adl> check for this, I guess).

 Tom> One reason I knew it was "ok" to disable this entirely is that
 Tom> packages which are set up for cross-compilation still have to do a lot
 Tom> of work themselves.  For instance they must search for the cross
 Tom> ranlib themselves.  That is, this is a general problem in autoconf
 Tom> that I prefer we solve there, not in automake.

Is it an "ok" for my proposal or a "no, keep it as it is now"?
Right now, I would have to call AC_CHECK_TOOL([STRIP],[strip])
in my configure.in *before* calling AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE to make
thinks work.

My package does cross-build successfully and I had no additional
work to do appart from calling AC_CANONICAL_HOST (only
install-strip fails, of course).  AC_PROG_RANLIB works for
cross-compilation too (at least in CVS autoconf, I have never
used the old), and Automake does check whether this macro is
called when it needs ranlib; this is great.

Basically I'm asking the same thing for strip.  Except that
since Autoconf 2.13 doesn't ship with an AC_PROG_STRIP macro
that Automake can check for, this macro would be supplied by
automake (unfortunately).

Yes, I'm asking a lot.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz