Re: Cleanup 2/4: make install-strip in cross-compilation environments

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Cleanup 2/4: make install-strip in cross-compilation environments
Date: 26 Feb 2001 11:43:50 +0100

>>> "Tom" == Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

 >>>>>> "adl" == Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden> writes:
 adl> I don't care about depend.m4, this adds only the missing changes
 adl> from m4/missing.m4.  Note that this also fix a bug in
 adl> AC_MISSING_INSTALL_SH which was using ${ac_auxdir} instead of
 adl> ${ac_aux_dir}.

 Tom> Why is this needed?

$install_sh is unusable as-is.

See the thread named `$ac_aux_dir issue' on the autoconf mailing list.
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/autoconf/2001-02/msg00024.html

 Tom> I prefer to avoid using absolute paths unless absolutely required.
 Tom> Some users occasionally move their entire src+build tree...

I fully agree.  Unfortunately, Automake already forces the
'absolultness' of some $ac_aux_dir-based variable.  See the
definition of $MISSING in AM_MISSING_HAS_RUN for example.
Given this, I don't think moving the tree can work.

This is an autoconf issue, eventually it will be fixed (I guess
Akim is waiting for me to do that, so it might take some times),
but as automake needs to support autoconf 2.13 I suppose it has
to work this around anyway.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz