Re: Testsuite fails

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Testsuite fails
Date: 25 Feb 2001 17:09:05 +0100

>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

 Akim> Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> writes:
 >> Hello, Tom!
 >>
 >> > Pavel> AC_CHECK_TOOL([STRIP],[strip])
 >> >
 >> > Yes, I wasn't thinking.  I've removed this.
 >> >
 >> > Ideally we'd have some way to tell autoconf, "if this package can be
 >> > cross-compiled, then check for a cross `strip' as well".  Maybe
 >> > there's an ugly way to do this.
 >>
 >> Actually, I think that Automake is wrong assuming that AC_CHECK_TOOL
 >> requires config.{guess,sub}. It's no longer true for the CVS Autoconf.
 >>
 >> The idea of AC_CHECK_TOOL is that if you are cross-compiling for e.g.
 >> i386-aix, then configure should check for i386-aix-strip and for the
 >> canonicalized form, i386-ibm-aix-strip. If the canonicalized form cannot
 >> be found - no problem, don't check for it. Those who want to cross-compile
 >> are supposed to be smarter than normal users - they'll fix it if it fails.
 >> Not sure if Autoconf is doing exactly that, but at least configure runs
 >> without asking for config.{guess,sub}.

 Akim> Your explanation is very correct.  AC_CHECK_TOOL only needs
 Akim> host_alias, hence there was no reason to require AC_CANONICAL_*.

Has anyone a plan to change this in Automake?

Otherwise, as install-strip is concerned, another idea is to:
  1) not call AM_PROG_INSTALL_STRIP from AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
  2) revert all `commenting' that has been done in AM_PROG_INSTALL_STRIP
  3) ask the user to call AM_PROG_INSTALL_STRIP if she uses
     AC_CANONICAL_HOST or AC_CANONICAL_TARGET (automake can
     check for this, I guess).

[...]

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz